Shabby Miss Jenn

Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Word

I've never been good at New Year's Resolutions. In fact, I'm downright bad at them. I think about all the wonderful things I want to do and change in the upcoming year. I make lists and charts and dream about how amazing things are going to be. I spend so much time preparing and analyzing that by the time the clock strikes midnight, I'm too exhausted to follow through. The idea of making resolutions is a lot easier than acting on them.

My resolution this year was to NOT have a resolution. It worked out pretty well! However, a friend of mine challenged me to choose a word for 2012. A word to live by for the year that can set the tone, encourage, and motivate. When my friend told me her word, and I read about it here, I wanted to steal it. It's a great word, but in order to really experience this challenge, I decided I needed give this a little more thought.

I thought back on the past few years and tried to figure out what was missing. I tried to look into the future and wondered what I would regret in years to come based on the way I was living at the moment. I thought about Wade and the stories he would remember and tell about his childhood, about me. The word came to me out of nowhere, but I think it's perfect. My word to live by in 2012 is...



It's no secret that I am scattered. My mind is always running a mile a minute, and I always seem to be behind the eight ball. I'm going here, there and everywhere, and if you ask me what's going on, I can't focus long enough to tell you. Many of the things I do are important (well, some of them anyway!), but I'm on autopilot. Sometimes I look up, and I don't know how I got from point A to point B. I'm moving through life just "doing" and not "experiencing". There's always something to do or somewhere to go. Life is busy, but I can--I MUST--slow down and smell the roses. I want to embrace life and really enjoy everything it has to offer.

This is your time
This is your dance
Live every moment
Leave nothing to chance
Swim in the sea
Drink of the deep
Embrace the mystery of all you can be
This is your time.
~ Michael W. Smith

1 comment:

kelly in TX said...

Love it! And can't wait to see it in action! (I'm guessing we'll need to remind each other of our words throughout the year!)